Saturday, November 22, 2014

Tradition

What are your family traditions you are most grateful for?

When I married my farmer in 1984, I decided I should host Thanksgiving. After all, we were bringing in the sheaves; it called for rejoicing

This will be my thirtieth year of Thanksgiving on the farm. Two of my daughters, Eloise and Palmer, rolled in last night from New York and Cedar Rapids, respectively. Sons Harrison and Stuart will come Wednesday evening from Grinnell, as will my oldest daughter Brigham from Des Moines. My son Max in the Cook Islands will not be with us. 

When I opened this blog topic this evening, I asked the girls to answer the question. 

Eloise: 
St. Nicholas cookies
Chinese food on Christmas Eve
Thanksgiving at our house

Palmer:
Having a cleaning woman (Not sure this counts as a "tradition," but it has saved us from ourselves, and I'll never give it up.)
Mom reading "Kirsti and St. Nicholas" on St. Nicholas eve
Mom teaching us poems
Breadmen after school

I enjoyed hearing their answers, so I texted the question to my stateside children, two of whom who weighed in:

Brigham:
Dancing around the Christmas tree at our Danish family gathering
Breakfast on Trees
St. Nicholas Day (Seems like a pre-game for Christmas, said Palmer)
Playing Fruit Basket Upset
Christmas stockings

Harrison:
Christmas presents

Daughters want me to watch "Mad Men" with them now. I will. Starting a new tradition.

1 comment:

  1. We have a cleaning lady, too. My husband and I agree that it saved our relationship because I just can't handle any kind of order. Enjoy your family time!

    ReplyDelete