Monday, November 17, 2014

Meeting Billy Collins

Nov 17 -
Meeting Billy Collins 



Me: Hello [I know you don't know me, but I know you because I've read your poems and therefore my buggy eyes are going to leap off my face and attack you! I will also pant and drool a little bit.]

BC: You must be from Iowa [You are pathetic.]


Me: Yes! [I am so lame that I can only talk in monosyllables! But I can waggle my head!]



BC: I could tell. [You. Are. Pathetic. And I am weary.]

--Signs book


Me: Thank you. [There! I did it! Two consecutive syllables!]


BC: Next? [They don't pay me enough.]


Me: Graaaggbble [Exit, gnawing my fist.]



3 comments:

  1. I enjoy the self-deprecating humor - and respect the "tech" artistry. I also wonder - would we really want to "pedestal" writers (even BC) as our JV & Varsity feeder systems do professional athletes - whose clay feet so often come to light? Perhaps we need such perspectives - perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you make me think, James. The trouble with pedelstalling (Look! We invented a verb!) anyone is that we can't see the clay feet (that we ALL have) while gazing upward from below.
    When I met BC, I was mildly surprised that he was a bit snarky in some of his comments. Afterwards I thought: But of course! He's a funny guy, and humor is often found on the edge of snark. It comes from the sardonic, tilted view he frequently uses to make his poetry prickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's brilliant to unpack a 10-second interaction with this level of insight.

      Delete