Sunday, November 2, 2014

More than a lanyard

Nov 2 What is one small delight in the day that you always look forward to?


I carry my keys and school ID on a button-bedecked yellow lanyard. I jingle when I walk. Students tell me they know it's me because they hear me coming. I tell them it's like the bell on a cat's collar to warn the birds.

I began wearing a lanyard years before our school required all teachers to wear their IDs visibly because I needed a way to keep my key to the copy room at hand. Over time this literal identity badge has become a figurative one as well: it is a talisman, an epitrachelion, my Olympic gold. 

When I pull into the school parking lot in the morning, I put on my lipstick, loop the lanyard around my neck, and become Ms. Berryhill. The small ritual is always filled with optimism. I sling my computer bag over my shoulder, shut the car door, and jingle toward my day.


4 comments:

  1. I love your last paragraph....I feel the same way when I get to school each day. It's as if a different persona comes out when I put on that lanyard and walk into the building. Home "stuff" has to stay in the car until after school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the image of you merrily jingling down the hallway, with fresh lipstick, no less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, thank you for leaving comments! It is a pleasure to blogging buddies this month! We can do this--and the occasional comment is the carrot I need. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison! Thank you for being part of the blogging challenge this month - great to have you as part of the community. I love the image of the different personas and you're so right - we do play a role to a certain extent.
    Looking forward to reading more posts.

    Justine

    ReplyDelete