Friday, November 14, 2014

Shortcuts to more effective teaching

Nov 14 5 things you are grateful to have learned in your teaching career


My hope is that you might take a shortcut through the years it has taken me to learn the following lessons:

1) Post the day's plan. Maybe the rest of you figured this out before I did, but the realization made a huge impact on my confidence. I post the day's bullets on the back board where I (and students) can see it. It reminds me where I've been and where I'm going. Brilliant.
2) On that bullet list, I mark at least one activity with a star. This indicates that the activity will involve talking, interaction and movement. I promise my students that there will be at least one star on each day's agenda.
3) Go deep, not broad. My students spend most of their days going broad: gathering vague, wide information. My room invites them to go deep. This is a lesson I have to keep re-learning. It is better to learn one concept for life than to remember 20 lessons for one week. I mean that.
4) Like the kids. The #1 question kids enter a room with is "Will my teacher like me?" My answer is yes. I am paid to fake it 'til I make it. This isn't a shortcut I learned over the years; rather, it's been a mindset that has grounded my teaching from day one. It minimizes discipline issues, it increases student motivation, and it warms the room.
5) Stay on top of the grading. I have learned that it is much better to stay current with reading/responding to student work than to put it off. (I say this even as I have last week's essays back-piled. Let's just say this is a lesson I am still learning.)

Wow. This list was spontaneous and certainly not exhaustive. It also inspires me to think of a "Do Not..." list of lessons. Maybe I'll save that for another post...

Kylie (to my right) asked that we take this picture during editing today. Not our best picture, but I'm always happy that my kids consider Room #408 a haven--and a photo op.


No comments:

Post a Comment