Wednesday, September 17, 2014

When Students Miss Class

My challenging issue of the day is attendance. I can't teach kids who aren't there.  I don't know if Jonny misses school because it sucks his soul (as one student told a colleague today), or if school sucks his soul because his absences prevent him from building momentum in learning or rapport with his classmates. What I do know is that my students with frequent absences are often less engaged, less confident, and less connected than those with regular attendance. 
Language arts learning is not linear; it's recursive. The learning billows up from shared experience, from pushing against each other's ideas, from manipulating language in myriad ways. Students can't "make up" a vibrant class discussion, a rousing exchange of opinions, or a thoughtful group analysis of a text. 
I've tried all sorts of ways to get kids to school. I've given them wake-up calls. I've bribed them with breakfast pizza. I've left school during my prep period to pick them up when they didn't have a ride. It matters to me if they're there. I'm sorry that it often seems to matter less so to them.
When I don't have answers, I turn to poetry. Let me leave you with a wonderful poem by Tom Wayman. titled "Did I Miss Anything?" CLICK HERE to read it on the Poetry180 website. 

Day 17: What do you think is the most challenging issue in education today?
Reflection: The issue of attendance has been rattling around in my brain for some time. I loved being reminded of Wayman's poem.

Have you--or has your district--found ways to improve attendance? Please let me know. I'd love some help with this. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Wayman's poem, too, and this is such an important issue to address. I was thinking too-big-picture last night about things outside of even my system's control. I like how you worked with something small. (That is no small issue--it's just not, for example, the corporate takeover of public education.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Brenna. In your defense, the question asked for the MOST CHALLENGING issue...so my postage-stamp narrowing of subject may have been (again) a contortion of the question. I keep telling myself these are prompts, not assignments! Write on, friend!

    ReplyDelete