Saturday, September 27, 2014

Weekends for wiping clean the slate

My husband and I spent the day at Grinnell College, where we met up with two of our children to watch a third play football on the loveliest day of the year. 
Harrison and Palmer, two of my six.

Other than checking my email by phone, and flipping through this week's New Yorker for possible articles to share with my seniors this week, I did nothing school-related all day. 

But tomorrow I will put in 8-10 hours of reading and responding, planning and posting. By week's end my mental white-board is unreadable: scribbles and cross-outs, revisions, excisions, addenda, amendments. 

I use weekends to clean my slate in order to start fresh on Mondays. I've learned this the hard way. If I don't catch up on Sundays, I will chase myself in circles all week. I know teachers who do not have my workload. If I look out the wrong window, I can really resent this. If I look out the right window, I remember that teaching students to write and think is noble work, and I genuinely love what I do. But to do it at a level I'm proud of, I have to do the time. If I don't catch up on responding to my students' work, I will spiral into a very bad place. Yes, I've been there.  

I have, over the years, developed strategies to manage the workload and still respond to my students' work meaningfully and promptly. But that means working weekends. 'Nuff said.   

Day 27: What role do weekends and holidays play in your teaching?


Reflection:  It has taken me a number of years to reconcile myself to the amount of time outside the school day teaching English requires of me. I say "of me" because I understand I need more time than many teachers do. I'm not a fast reader/responder. I'm not naturally organized. I'm easily distracted. But I've come to realize how I feel when I prep well for the week vs. how I feel when I don't, and I've learned that I am much happier with my teaching and myself when I invest (weekend) time to align the "me I am" more closely to the "me I want to be." 

No comments:

Post a Comment