Saturday, September 6, 2014

What's good mentoring? Ask Marcus.

I attended mentor training with Marcus, my new mentee, last Wednesday. In one of our activities, we each listed characteristics of a good mentor and then compared what we'd written. Actually, he wrote characteristics and I wrote behaviors (since I hadn't listened to the directions). 
I happily wrote my list describing what I hoped Marcus wanted in a mentor: ME! 
But then I read his list. He wants a good listener. (What? You mean he doesn't just want to hear all my fabulous ideas?) He wants organization. (Isn't that over-rated?) He wants reflection. (Who has time for that? Mytomatoes.com is ticking...) He wants straight-shooting and honesty. Well, here goes:
The activity served me up some humble pie. It reminded me that a good mentor is defined not by the mentor herself, but by her willingness to adapt to the definition crafted by her mentee. A recurring problem for me is to get caught up in my own ideas, my own strategies, and to fail to take on others' perspectives. If there is ever a situation that calls for taking on another's perspective, it's mentoring.
I am determined to do right by Marcus this year. And the first thing I'll do is listen. And then I'll key in on organization. I'll reflect. And I'll try to do all of this without mincing my words. 
What does a good mentor "do"? Submerges the self. Wish me luck.
Day 6: Explain: What does a good mentor “do”?
Reflection: I decided tonight that I would write my blog entry in 25 minutes, using one of my favorite get-it-done tools: mytomatoes.com. If I am to succeed in this 30-day challenge, I'll have to push through these days when I have other things I'd rather do. So I'm gave myself 25 minutes, then used up the first 11 minutes writing and deleting sentences. I then tagged on another 25 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment