Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Eye of the Needle: Student collaboration

Ideal collaboration between students? JOURNALISM!
Almost two years ago, in a wild student-directed learning adventure, two of my students decided to produce a weekly TV newscast. Hannah and Monica are now in college, and their proteges Kate, Macey, and Mollee have taken over. Each week they decide what to cover and how they'll do it. They do their own filming. They set up interviews, gather news stories. They've taught themselves how to use Final Cut Pro. I feel like the more they feel they don't need me, the better I'm teaching. I slip in nudges and prompts, and we watch the episodes together and critique. But I am truly a guide on the side...far side...way in the back...often out of view. And THAT is what I see as ideal collaboration among students! 

Day 25: The ideal collaboration between students–what would it look like?
Reflection: I love teaching journalism. It is unlike any other class because the learning is so genuine: non-stop problem solving. But it's also a challenge because my kids' work--mistakes and all--is public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment