Wednesday, September 10, 2014

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree

FIVE RANDOM FACTS ABOUT MYSELF:
1) I spout unsolicited bursts of poetry.
2) I learned to swim at age 34 and unicycle at 52.
3) I like the sound of the word "thriven."
4) I have six non-working iPods in my desk drawer.
5) My mother-in-law (age 85) does my laundry. Bless her heart.
FOUR ITEMS ON MY BUCKET LIST:
None. I was diagnosed with breast cancer nine years ago, which invited me to look this question square on. I live fully and deliberately. No list.
THREE THINGS I HOPE FOR THIS YEAR:
1) Be to school early each day.
2) Finish the yearbook before summer.
3) Get son Max (who teaches in the Cook Islands) home for Christmas.
My journalists distributed the 2014 yearbook to our students today.

TWO THINGS THAT HAVE MADE ME LAUGH OR CRY AS AN EDUCATOR:
1) When a co-worker yelled at me in front of my students (for letting my students be too loud in the hall), I cried.
2) When I teach "Much Ado About Nothing," I laugh--a lot.
AND ONE THING I WISH MORE PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT ME:
1) After reading Sam Harris's book "Lying," I am trying to live lie-free. It's not that I was some big liar before, but the book made me realize the subtle (and not-so-subtle) ways people are willing to bend the truth to avoid conflict or discomfort. Learning to be truthful at all times is wonderfully freeing.
Day 10
Reflection:
Today's blog felt disjointed; however, it did give me pause to consider my public disclosure of self. All writing is decision-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment