Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Metaphor Mixmaster

Ah, I'm using tonight's prompt as an invitation to fingerpaint, muck around in some metaphor. Permission to roll your eyes granted.
By Thursday night I am a shriveled, deflated balloon. I am soft grandma skin. I am melted butter. 
But tomorrow morning I will again galumph down the hall like a happy labrador pup.

I'm a bursting milkweed pod, my fluff and silk wafting onto hopeful air.
I'm the baker, mixing ingredients, tasting the batter, making substitutions. 
I am Gumby.
I am fog on little cat feet, on silent haunches.
And that, my friends, was the last drip out of my hose tonight.
---
Today my journalists asked if we could replace the bland linoleum flooring in the journalism lab. They've already painted the walls and ceiling tiles, stocked the refrigerator, and furnished the place in funky dorm-room style. Their suggestion for today was to put down some sort of wood laminate. Part of me shakes my head in dismay: these kids want to be interior decorators far more than they want to be journalists. But I am pleased they see this space as their own.  
Today's Amazon box contents. This is going to make a certain student very happy.

Day 18: Create a metaphor/simile/analogy that describes your teaching philosophy. For example, a “teacher is a ________…”
Reflection: At first I thought today's prompt would be easy--just dash off some metaphors. But I had to really fight my inner critic tonight. She kept reminding me that most of my readers are themselves English teachers with an eye for the lame metaphor. I had to consciously remind myself that this blogging challenge is not a competition. I read others' posts in a joyful, generous spirit of sharing. I need to grant myself that same grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment