Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What does teaching look like?

At mentor training today, I was disappointed when a poster activity resulted in four of our six groups depicting "instruction" as a teacher standing by a whiteboard. How sad to think that both energized new teachers and their wise and wizened mentors visualize "teaching" as sit-and-get lecture. 
Yet shortly after I made this observation, I received an email with the data report from my principal's first walk-through of the year. And guess where it said I had been standing when she entered the room? At the front of the room. Presenting information on a whiteboard. 
I know that's not a crime. But it's a reminder. Many teachers have been frustrated when a two-minute walk-through catches them in a behavior they don't think fairly depicts their usual practices. But if I want to define myself as a teacher who keeps the focus on my learners, and the power in their hands, I better not be yakking by the whiteboard the next time my principal walks in. 
A non-whiteboard teaching moment from Tuesday.
Day 3: Discuss one “observation” area that you would like to improve on for your teacher evaluation.
Reflection: Oh my! This blogging challenge is turning into a test of sleep deprivation! I started writing an hour ago (my usual bedtime), then was interrupted by a call from my college freshman. I'm enjoying the camaraderie sharing this challenge with other teachers blogging this month! Write on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment