Monday, September 22, 2014

My PLN Target

I have a rich and wonderful Personal Learning Network. 

At the center of the bullseye is me. My curiosity and commitment to immersing myself in the language arts is at the heart of my PLN. I alone know my secret life
Directly surrounding me are my coworkers in Atlantic. Our English department meets for one class period every day, during which we plan and problem-solve, collaborate and celebrate. They know my children, my foibles.
The next concentric circle includes people I know personally who support my teaching and challenge my thinking. This includes my co-workers in other towns, with whom I connect through VSee and Google Hangouts, EngCamps and conferences.  They know my opinions, my struggles.
My outermost layer of PLC is the online community I connect to through Twitter and Facebook. I am enriched and educated by this outer layer as we meet on #jerdchat and #sunchat for lightning hours of idea-sharing. They know my quips and my typos.
What I have most enjoyed about the expanded PLN that social media provides is the delight of someone from the outer circle slipping in closer, connecting through a shared idea or question. I consider Tess Wigginton and Melissa Springsteen-Haupt among my outer circle of support who have inched in as we shared through social media exchanges. 
***SHAMELESS PLUG! Melissa and I will be presenting "First Do No Harm; Next, Get a Life: Responding to Student Writing" on Thursday, Oct. 9, at the ICTE Fall Convention. Join us!***

Day 22: What does your PLN look like, and what does it to for your teaching?
Reflection: To bed, to bed! There's knocking at the gate! My husband is resenting this blog challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment