Friday, January 29, 2021

Day #317 Writing Through COVID-19: Moments in an Ordinary Day

5 a.m. 
Wake and check the news. COVID is the third story this morning, following Rep/Dem tension and more details about the Jan. 6 attack on Congress.

6:45 a.m.
Local radio reports the daily COVID numbers. Cass County positivity is at 7.5%

7:15 a.m.
Choose a mask that (almost) matches my outfit.

8:02 a.m.
Remind Bryer to keep her mask over her nose. (Repeat all day to various students.)

8:48 a.m.
Ariel, my TA, sprays down the desks. Students know the routine, grabbing a paper towel as they enter the room, wiping down their desks, and settling in. (Repeat this every hour for the rest of the day.)

Open the Zoom classroom. My remote student is a no-show (again).

10 a.m. 
Pull my mask down during my prep period. My TA is across the room. She keeps her mask on.

11:30 a.m.
I spend five minutes heating a bowl of chili in the teacher workroom, surrounded by unmasked lunching colleagues, enjoying their lunch break together. I return to Room #408 and eat in solitude. I've been cautious for 10 months. I want to think the end is in sight.

12:05 p.m.
This period the first of my two loyal remote learners logs on. My masked students are learning to articulate and project their voices behind their masks. Our discussion is vibrant, everyone contributes. 

3:13 p.m.
The final bell rings. I turn off the visual presenter, hit the lights, head out. I wear my mask until I'm in the car, appreciating the scarf protection it provides in the low temps. 

5:30 p.m.
I mask up again to visit my mother-in-law and practice accordion.

6:30 p.m.
I use WhatsApp video to see my grandbaby across a world in lockdown.    

7 p.m.
Dan and I play three games of Ping-Pong, our most recent attempt to be human in these strangely endless days. 

8:30 p.m.
Blog about COVID. 
--------------------------

When is your day is impacted by COVID? I would love to hear what you are experiencing in this unrelenting shared experience.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison    

Wolf has a little Grandma time.



No comments:

Post a Comment