Friday, January 15, 2021

Day #303 Writing Through COVID-19: Holding My Breath

My son working ski rescue at Sundance got his initial dose of the COVID vaccine yesterday. His girlfriend, a nurse, got hers in December. My parents, brother-in-law, and neighbor have all received their first doses.

My little circle of inoculated precious people is growing.

Harrison joins #TeamVaccinated


---------------------

School was canceled today as a blizzard slapped Western Iowa.  The announcement took me back to mid-March when the COVID suspension of school felt at first like a snow day, before it morphed into a gaping, uncertain waiting. 

The unknown created a suspension, as a nation we held our collective breath. I struggled to focus for any extended length of time. Even reading a book was hard. We were balancing on marbles. I couldn't stop checking my phone for pandemic news.  
---------------------

My dad is having his computer fixed, so we haven't been able to ZOOM this week. When I talked to my mom earlier this week, she responded to my conversational overtures with laughter, but when she tried to respond, I heard her pause and falter. She began with a comment that responded to my words, but ended with a vague, generic "that's so good to hear." I felt as if I was watching her memory last for about 10 seconds and then waft away. 
-----------------------

I don't have a clear hold on how my parents are doing. I need to see them in person. I haven't yet heard the plans their care center has established for visiting after residents have received their vaccines. 

I'm waiting again. Holding my breath.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment