Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Day #294 Writing Through COVID-19: Let's Talk About What Just Happened

This afternoon my journalism students were busy interviewing each other for their online bios when my phone buzzed. I glanced down and saw the alert: "Trump supporters have stormed the US Capitol. Congress is on lockdown." 

I felt my stomach lurch and fall: deja vu from nearly 20 years ago, the September morning when I was substitute teaching in a journalism class and the art teacher raced in to insist I turn on the TV: a second plane had just hit the World Trade Center.
-------------------------- 

Today when I read the alert, I interrupted my students' chattering interviews to tell them of the breaking news. "Pay attention," I said. "This is News." 

Our small rural school is 1100 miles from the Capitol. None of us felt an imminent threat today (nor had we on 9/11). But then, and I assume now, we will eventually feel the reverberations of today.
--------------------------

My husband and I are watching the House and Senate speeches and voting tonight.

At least one news commentator is calling continued attempts to derail the election results a "fool's errand."
---------------------------

Today, for the first time in months, I had to scroll past reports about what happened (and is still happening) in DC today...then the stories about the Georgia election results...before I, at last, landed on a Coronovirus story. I'd like to think this is progress! But it's not. It just means that despite out-of-control COVID-19, we have even more impactful and urgent stories. 

This is not good news.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

It's summer in Taranaki!






One more just for Grandma.



No comments:

Post a Comment