Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Day #308 Writing Through COVID-19: I'm Back (and church)

My daughter in Des Moines texted tonight: How is Aunt Adrienne? 

She was asking because one of her friends reads my blog and had said I'd left her hanging. (Sorry, Courtney!)

First, Adrienne's update: After two negative COVID tests and the return of her taste and smell, we think she had only a bad cold or sinus infection. Three of her children were also tested, all negative. 

This is, of course, welcome news. We are navigating a hyper-awareness of symptoms.

For example, today in the teacher workroom, a colleague said that by the end of each teaching day he experiences multiple COVID symptoms: fatigue, headache, nausea, body aches.

Truth.
-----------------------

Last Sunday, for the third time since the pandemic descended in March, my husband attended church in person because he was on the church-council ballot. He'd attended in November to vote for the Call Committee's recommendation for our new pastor, then returned the following week because he had the date wrong. 

Meanwhile, I've stayed home, sheltering in place. 

When Dan ventured into the narthex two months ago, he was met with well-meaning hand-grasping congregants. His COVID-iffy report was all I needed to cement my no-in-person-church policy for the coming months.
-------------------

I'm okay skipping face-to-face church during COVID-19. 

Raised in an every-Sunday Methodist home, I married an every-Sunday Lutheran Dane. We met in our mid-20s when we were both on church-attendance vacation.

What pulled us back to the pew was our first-born's pre-school teacher who suggested our shy daughter could benefit from more social interaction: Had we considered Sunday School?
-------------------

At least some of us attending Sunday services alongside you are less than devout. I've served on Council, taught Sunday School, directed Christmas programs, canvassed members, voiced opinions in annual meetings, organized hayrides, bid at silent auctions, played accordion for worship services...all while treading water in the doubters' pool. 

I write this not to fuel embers of uncertainty, but to widen the definition and purpose for involvement in a church community. 

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment