Sunday, January 10, 2021

Day #298 Writing Through COVID-19: "I know you're busy"

When my parents moved back to Ft. Dodge in August, I worried our closeness wasn't sustainable without living in the same home. 

At first, I called or Zoomed with them daily. Then it slipped to Bridge games a couple times a week. This morning when I called to help my dad log onto online Sunday School, I realized I hadn't talked to him since logging him on a week ago. 

I apologized, hiding behind the busyness of the first week of a new semester. My excuses sounded hollow even to me. My dad was quick respond: "That's all right. I know you're busy."
------------------------

This evening I called him again to play some Bridge. But shortly after we made our first bid, Zoom locked up and kicked us both off. When my dad tried to log back on, his computer gave him the spinning wheel of inertia. He told me to play the hand out by myself and let him know how I did. He'd get technical support tomorrow to fix the computer woes. 

My dad sometimes frustrates me with how slowly he contemplates each play, thinking through how each possibility might unfold (much like the good chess players do).  But tonight as I played without him, I slapped down my cards too quickly, failing to think through the maze of decisions until it was too late and I was boxed in, down by three tricks. 

I did not call my dad to tell him how badly I played.
I'm disappointed in myself on several levels.

Enough.
Be well.
Write. 

Allison

P.S. What I'm NOT disappointed in is my 2-0 domination over Dan in Ping-Pong tonight. Our series stands at 2-1.

NZ <3


No comments:

Post a Comment