Saturday, January 2, 2021

Day #290 Writing Through COVID-19: Make It a Habit

What's the chance of turning a New Year's resolution into a habit? A sloppy Google search finds 66 days to be the frequent target.

Today as I walked through Fareway, I saw an unmasked man shopping alongside his masked wife and child. I gave him wide berth. 

It was then I realized the mask on my own face is now (290 days in) a fully established habit. I didn't remember putting it on when I entered the store. I couldn't feel it. 

Nor did I think twice before slowing and side-stepping to give shoppers around me expanded distance. 
---------------------

When I went to my mother-in-law's to practice accordion tonight, I'd detoured past the sink for hot and sudsy hand-washing before positioning my music stand. This is also now a blind habit.
---------------------

I sprayed down the 19 desks in my classroom between my seven classes each day during the first semester. My students knew the routine. They pulled paper towels off my make-shift towel dispenser as I spritzed disinfectant. It was a fully established habit for all of us. (That's 11,970 desk spritzes and desk wipes for those of you who are counting. It's also 11k+ paper towels.)
---------------------

Creating habits eases decision-making. I know that with mindless patterns (habits) to rely on throughout the day, I don't have to stop and use up my limited decision-making energy.  I can make coffee, take my SSRI, brush my teeth, and read for 20 minutes all before I have to even THINK about making a choice. Ahhh.

Again tonight, I snuggled into my chair and opened my blog without thinking. 
----------------------

Then I stared at my screen. I'm blogging about this pandemic, which is at frightening virulent heights. But everything about today felt ordinary. Same-old-same-old: habitual. 

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison 

My Colorado daughter's Danish doormat


No comments:

Post a Comment