Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Day #301 Writing Through COVID-19: Vaccine!

My parents received their first COVID-19 vaccine yesterday, and their second dose is scheduled for Feb. 2. 

When I called and learned the news, I felt a visceral lifting of my heart. My dad said the inoculations were painless and (so far) neither he nor my mom had felt side effects.
----------------------

Also yesterday, my sister Adrienne texted to say that after a few days of a "cold," she'd lost her sense of taste and smell and was scheduling a COVID test. She verified her loss of smell in a dramatic inhalation of the dog-food bin: no smell.

This morning her results came back negative. However, she was told the test has a 10% false-negative. She scheduled a second test for this afternoon. I'll keep you posted.
---------------------

Adrienne was diagnosed with ovarian cancer almost ten years ago. After surgery and chemo, she had nearly five years clear before a recurrence in 2016. She is one of the few ovarian-cancer patients for whom a second removal surgery was even an option.
---------------------- 

This precious woman is my lifelong best friend. Who knows you better than a sibling?

While her symptoms have so far been tolerable, I do not take her health for granted. 

Nor should anyone.


Wear a mask. 

Enough.

Be well.

Write.

Allison

This is Adrienne, left, and my son's mother-in-law, right, two years ago in Northern Ireland at Max and Andrea's wedding.






No comments:

Post a Comment