Thursday, January 21, 2021

Day #309 Writing Through COVID-19: Beating the Students :-)

Last year a dozen students organized the AHS Game Club. The group (now up to 20+ members) meets Thursday afternoons under the good-natured supervision of Randall, my English-teaching colleague. 

The kids play Dungeons & Dragons, lots of video games, VR, and even an occasional board game.

I don't attend every week, but when I do, I gravitate to chess, where Randall and I face off in brutal competitions that I consistently win. Yes, I gloat.
---------------------------

Today I rolled a Ping-Pong table out of the P.E. closet and into the hall by the room where the club meets. I challenged all takers. 

We played games to 11 points, and I managed to beat eight students in 45 minutes. I also lost the most significant game to Randall, 11-8, during which he corrected my serving form and humbled me a bit.

A couple of the kids played well enough to make me pay attention. Mostly I lobbed balls back and offered encouragement as newbies grew in confidence, not by winning points, but by managing a few consecutive hits. 
--------------------------

Everything has a COVID dimension.

As I played Ping-Pong, I took off my lanyard and keys. My mask, which I wear on a chain of beads, was also distracting and uncomfortable. I figured my opponents were six feet away and justified removing my mask and tossing it on top of the water cooler while I played. 

But any lightening I felt in removing my distracting bead-chained mask was outweighed by my guilt. I have been the model of responsible masking at AHS since school resumed in August. Yet here I was, tugging off my mask to increase my chances of beating 16-year-olds at Ping-Pong. 

Pathetic? Yup.

Fun? You bet.

I put my mask back on. I still won. (Except to Randall.)

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

AHS Game Club Ping-Pong competition. Randall vs. Q.



No comments:

Post a Comment