Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Day #126 Writing Through COVID-19: Where Is the Joy?

This month I am participating in an online writing group that is focusing on joy. Today's prompt included the admonition to grab joy. We may experience joy passively when we unexpectedly see five wild turkeys walking across the lawn, as I did this morning.

But we can also grab joy. That is, we can intentionally seek it out, claim it.
----------------------

As I wrote about this, my thoughts turned to school. (Actually, school never leaves my thoughts these days.) I am worried and fearful about returning. And fear and joy are on opposite ends of my teetertotter.

Can I be an active joy-seeker while maintaining a guard of caution and safety? I do not want to be a can't-do sort of teacher. I've never been that.

But while I'm eager to try new technology and think I could be a positive leader in online teaching, I'm not so sure about the face-to-face option.

I wish I felt I could trust the systems--the federal government, the state of Iowa, my school board and administrators--to keep me and my students safe. But right now I'm nervous.

What do I need from these systems in order to trust their leadership?

1) Honesty. Make sure that policy and recommendations line up with facts.
2) Modeling. Walk the walk of responsibility. Wear masks. Model social distancing.
3) Adherence. Follow CDC recommendations for re-opening.

I am truly in a place of cognitive dissonance. I have to reconcile my enthusiasm for teaching with my uncertainty of what lies ahead.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

P.S. If you've read through this dismal blog post, you deserve to see something lovely.
Wolf (nine days old) and his mama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment