Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Day #119 Writing Through COVID-19: To Teach or Not to Teach, That Is the Question

W. Wolf Hoegh, 3 days old
My sweet grandbaby Wolf was all wrapped up in his caterpillar suit, ready to head home to New Plymouth, when the nurses broke the news that he'll spend one more day in the hospital because he's a bit jaundiced. My son Max thought the best solution was to just get the little guy out in the sunshine and fresh air, but he and Andrea have since accepted one more day of rest.

My parents meet Wolf.
Here is Wolf's first visit with his great-grandparents (in my basement) via WhatsApp today.
--------------------

This morning I toggled between my parents' ZOOM meeting with their financial adviser in the basement and my own ZOOM meeting with fellow English teachers upstairs.

My parents have always lived frugally and made enough money to prepare adequately for retirement. Modest investments provided income to cover living expenses--until a year ago when my parents moved into a higher level of nursing-home care.

At that point, their nest egg began to dwindle, but not precipitously. They still have enough to live out what they expect to be only a few more years.

But who knows? Even with his feeble heart, my dad has genetics shared with a sister who lived to 104.

My mother, from the neck down, is nimble and strong.

If, in several years, my parents are still living and run out of funds, the care center's policy is to continue their care without payment. My dad is worried about this. He doesn't want to be a drain on the care center.

I've tried to assure him that the nursing home fees take into account the fact that some residents will run out of money before breath. If my parents outlive their funds, they will have already paid for their "extended time."
------------------------------

In my ZOOM with fellow teachers, we spent the first 15 minutes exchanging how our schools planned to open. Just here in Iowa, our plans varied widely.

None of us spoke with confidence in our districts' plans and leadership.
----------------------------------

Later in the day I talked with a fellow teacher and friend.

She told me she feels she must resign. She is the mother of four young children who will attend school in a 2-day, 3-day pattern, while she teaches in a district that is determined to return to full-face learning five days a week.

She sobbed through our entire 20-minute conversation. This woman is weighing her career--which she loves, and at which she excels--against the wellbeing of herself and her family. It is likely she will resign her teaching position. I asked her to hang on for a couple of weeks and see if there is a change in plans from the state.

If Iowa is determined to open schools during the second upswing of our first pandemic wave, I will support my friend if she decides not to teach this year.
------------------------

Enough?
Be well.
Write.

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment