Friday, July 3, 2020

Day #108 Writing Through COVID-19: Running, Part 2

That was fun! I finished 10k in 1:20:47, which calculates to exactly 13-minute miles, so I guess I called it. It also shows that what I call "running" is in fact a slow jog.

In the milling before the race, people visited in clusters. Having come alone, I kept happily (and masked) to myself. The races, which included a 5k and a Fun Run in addition to the 10k, reported more than 150 participants, slightly up from last year. I'd guess there were 200 people spread across the town square.

I did not see anyone else wearing a mask.
------------------

End of Exira's 10k 2020
I moved my mask from my face to my wrist as I entered the distanced starting shoot. I lined up as the last of the 21 10k runners to start the race. I anticipated holding that last-place position throughout the race, but I accidentally passed one runner and finished 20th of 21.

I also took first place in my age category. REMINDER TO EVERYONE: most of success is just a matter of showing up.
-------------------

When you run a 10k before 10 a.m., the rest of the day is gravy. Mine was: reading on the deck, a two-hour nap, a 4-wheeler ride with my no-longer-distanced farmer.

I should explain. Dan was exposed to COVID-19 9 days ago and was tested on Day 6. His results came back negative yesterday. When the county health official talked with him about his results, she said his exposure did not fall into the "close contact" category because it did not last 15 minutes. She said he no longer needed to quarantine. He's continued to have normal temperature readings twice a day, and no symptoms.

After talking with my siblings, we agreed to keep my parents in Newton through the planned two weeks. We will also not have contact with Dan's mom.

But here on Eagle Ave., Dan and I basically abandoned our separation today. We ate at the same table at lunch. I sat in the combine with him as he calibrated it for harvest. We did some crop-scouting on the 4-wheeler.

In other words, I've placed my bets on Dan NOT having COVID.
-----------------------

Who knows? Was I gambling to join a crowd of 200 to run in Exira today? Yes, a little bit.

Am I gambling to be sitting near my husband as I journal here this evening? I suppose.

I am not a gambler. I am cautious. If I am making these (reckless!) choices, what are less-cautious people doing? Sheesh.
----------------------

This evening I played a had of bridge online and then called my dad to tell him I am really catching onto the game except for two things: my bidding and my playing! He talked me through my mistakes in both areas and then passed the phone to my mom.

"It's good to hear your voice," I said.

"It's good to hear yours!"

I then told her about my morning run and the joy I felt with the success of my imperfect but strong body 15 years after my breast-cancer diagnosis and mastectomy at age 45. (My mother had a mastectomy at 51. Her own mother died of breast cancer at 53.) She seemed happy to listen to the story of my morning.

"Dad said you're working on a puzzle. Which one?"

"Um...it's 300 pieces..."

"It must be one of the ones Adrienne sent!"

"Yes, yes."

"I'm looking forward to seeing you next week when you come back to the farm."

"Me too," she said.
-----------------------

Enough.
Be well.
Write (and run).

Allison



No comments:

Post a Comment