Saturday, July 4, 2020

Day #109 Writing Through COVID-19: July 4

It's July 4 here, which makes it July 5 in New Zealand where my son Max and his wife Andrea are counting down the final days of Andrea's pregnancy. Baby Boy Hoegh is due on the 15th.

Until March, I had planned to spend the last two weeks of July in Taranaki as their cook, housekeeper, lactation consultant, and always-ready baby snuggler.

As COVID-19 reared its head, New Zealand modeled world-admired leadership to contain it. Within their borders, they have squelched the virus and have now returned to Level 1 (completely normal). However, they are determined to keep their country virus-free. This tourist-dependent country knows that keeping residents healthy is goal #1. They're not messing around. I don't know how long it will be before I get to hold my grandson.
-------------------------

My oldest daughter has two stepsons who joined our family at ages 8 and 10, but this will be my first grandBABY.

It's always hard to have family living on the other side of the world. But we have great WhatsApp service for frequent video calls. We've used ZOOM for birthdays, trivia contests, and last week's baby shower.

So I know our world-strewn family situation is more bearable than it's been for families before these technologies were available.

Still, I cannot wash the little family's dishes or vacuum their voluminous dog hair, or do their laundry. I can't nuzzle my grandbaby's neck or touch his tiny wrinkly feet.
--------------------------

My daughter Eloise, in Jacksonville, sent this photo of her husband's ship today, en route from Spain to Florida. These servicemen and women spent the first three months of 2020 in the Persian Gulf in response to emergency escalating tension with Iran. They then returned to Spain for two months in a locked-down COVID-ravaged country. When they reach Florida, they will be dry-docked for repairs and maintenance.

She then sent this message:









-------------------------
I have a large flag and swags hanging on our front porch. I love this country. Patriotism means wanting this country to keep moving toward its better self: more just, more equitable, more safe, more free.

Happy Independence Day.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment