Sunday, July 5, 2020

Day #110 Writing Through COVID-19: Memories and Lack Thereof

This morning I tried to forward the ZOOM link to my parents so they could participate in Sunday School from my sister's house. But when I opened the email, it included a message saying the teacher would be gone today, as would two other class members.

I went ahead and sent the link to my parents, then opened ZOOM myself. Within minutes I heard the *ding* and realized someone had joined the class: LEE and MEREDITH BERRYHILL. No other classmates showed up.

So instead of Sunday School, my parents and I zoomed for half-hour while they ate breakfast (delicious-looking aebleskiver prepared lovingly by my niece). They'd watched fireworks from inside my sister's car on Saturday night, and had walked around the house our family had lived in while in Newton from 1963-68. They were happy to tell me about these adventures.

I talked with my mom about my own childhood memories of July 4: eating caramel popcorn while watching fireworks. Playing with sparklers in the yard, then dropping the sizzling wires into a large pan of water. My memories are few, but rich in sensory detail.
----------------------

Yesterday my sister went out to her car where she could call me with some privacy to unload worries and stress of housing our parents. She said my mom continues to be confused about which bedroom is hers. When she walks into my sister's room she says, "Why do you keep changing my room?"

She does not want my sister or her daughter to dispense her meds, so that task has been relegated to my dad, who's only a little better at remembering meds than my mom.

They've played Chinese Checkers, but my mom seems to think the game is a test of her mental capacity, so isn't able to enjoy it as mere entertainment. This reminds me of the crossword puzzle book I got her several weeks ago. I thought she'd like it, but instead, she felt frustrated that she didn't know every clue. (I found it a few days ago at the bottom of a stack of newspapers and will re-home it to my mother-in-law.)

In short, my sister is knocking herself out to help my parents feel at home and engaged in living. My dad seems to appreciate this. My mom is confused and unhappy.
----------------------

Dan is scheduled for his second COVID test on day 15 after exposure on Thursday. Assuming this comes back negative, my parents will return to Eagle Ave. on Saturday.


Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment