Friday, July 10, 2020

Day #115 Writing Through COVID-19: Big Day Tomorrow

Big news on two fronts tonight:

1) Dan's second COVID test came back negative tonight. When I told our son Harrison "Dad is negative" he said "About what?"

I will head to Newton tomorrow and bring the nonagenarians back to Eagle Avenue for the rest of July.

I texted with my niece today who said my mom has continued to have a lot of confusion during her stay, especially at night. She wakes at 5 a.m. to take the dog out, at times without much clothing on. If she did that out here, I didn't know about it. She was always dressed by the time I came down with breakfast at 8. Also, our nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Wandering the yard in underwear is no big deal in rural Audubon County.
--------------------------

My siblings and I are having conversations about August 1, the date my parents will move out of my home as my school duties rev up. My sister and brother that are least capable of caring for them in their homes are also the most resistant to returning our parents to Friendship Haven.

A decision with a clear solution is not really a decision at all; it's just doing the obviously right thing. Tough decisions demand an ability to analyze multiple perspectives, weigh unequal factors (physical safety, emotional wellbeing), anticipate results, and choose a path forward.

When I tell my students that learning how to analyze is not merely for English class, but for lifelong decisionmaking, I'm not kidding.

TBC...
----------------------------

2) Andrea and Max's baby is almost here! At 3 p.m. today (8 a.m. tomorrow in NZ), they called to tell me about signs of early labor. Twenty-minutes ago (1:30 p.m. NZ) they called to say they have more indications we're nearing baby time. Hoegh Baby is on his way and should be here within a day or two!

In the hours between their first and second calls today, Andrea moved a pile of firewood into the house. It's winter in New Zealand, and she'd been asking Max to do it, but he was out trapping possums. I think this is Andrea's take-no-prisoners style of nesting. I told them to remember to include this heroic feat by his mom in their son's birth story.
Max and Andrea Hoegh, soon-to-be parents of my first grandbaby.

Tomorrow will likely be a big day in several ways!

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment