Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Day #281 Writing Through COVID-19: This and That

Yesterday was the final day of the semester. We managed to stay in school and (as far as I know) did not lose any students or staff to COVID.

We did, however, lose at least one retired educator, several students' grandparents, and at least two high-school faculty members' dads. 

An email from our church asked for prayers for a vibrant member who was intubated and transported to Des Moines today. A Facebook post tells me an educator (two years younger than I) in my hometown was killed by COVID Sunday.
--------------------------

Yesterday as I put my signature to a mid-term grad's sign-out sheet, I asked her if she'd ordered a yearbook. This young woman is living on her own, basically out of her car. Her mantra is "I don't really need that."

As soon as the question slipped from my lips, I realized my mistake. I told her a community member had offered to donate a yearbook to a student who may want on but needed a $$ boost. "That would be nice," she said.
--------------------------

Last night I played Bridge with my dad via Zoom. Afterward, I asked him to call Mom over so I could see her. I told her about the student who saw me playing carols on my accordion in the hall between classes and asked if she could bring her violin and play with me. We had such fun and are planning to play some love songs around Valentine's Day.

My mother said, "I'm so glad you're a teacher." 

Me too.
---------------------------

Today a package arrived from Katz's Deli in NYC, sent from my daughter who lived in the city for seven years. (She's now in Florida, by way of Spain.) The box contained all the fixings for Reuben sandwiches:  pastrami tasting fresh off the slicer, Katz's own Russian sauce, sauerkraut, rye bread, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles. 

Dan and I feasted. As we (over)stuffed our happy faces, we recounted my (14?) and his (2) trips to the Big Apple during our daughter's 20-somethings. The conversation segued into our regrets, our missed chances, our hopes to do better. As it should.

Thank you, dear daughter, for a meal that fed us on many levels. 

Enough.
Be Well.
Write.

Allison



No comments:

Post a Comment