Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Day #278 Writing Through COVID-19: Part III

My parents spent the first 137 days of the COVID-19 lockdown here on Eagle Ave.  

We are now on day 278.

In other words, Lee and Meredith have now been back at Friendship Haven for a few days longer than they lived here with me. 
---------------------

Time is nebulous.

The 4.5 months with my parents defined Chapter I of the pandemic for me. Years from now, when I hear "COVID" or "2020," I'll think of my parents blowing bubbles on my lawn. 

-----------------------
The second stretch of this experience has been a blur of Return to Learn. Since August, my struggle has been to find a balance between my physical health/safety and working face-to-face with students. Part II also saw COVID come to Cass County. Thirty-eight people in our small (12,000) county have died. I've known several personally. 

I am heading into winter break now (tomorrow is the last day of the semester); the distribution of a vaccine has begun.

It feels like I'm moving into COVID-19: Part III.
--------------------------------

On March 18, I was driving in a blinding fog. I could barely see the windshield wipers, let alone the road ahead.

I told myself to just keep watching and record it. 

Some days I've done this better than others.

Recording the experience is still my purpose.
-------------------------

Part III begins with a sad reckoning: My parents have slipped back into care-center mode. Although I do play Bridge with my dad a couple of times a week, and I try to remember to ask him to bring my mom into view of our screen, our relationship cannot sustain the authenticity of last summer.

My mom is sweet and smiling and laughs when I tell her of an event that doesn't require her to remember anything herself. Then she wanders out of view.

Even as last summer slips from view, I hold tight to the gift I was given in the months from March to August: a chance to re-frame my relationship with my parents. 

I don't wish a pandemic on anyone. But if it brings you into healing with those you love, that's a silver lining. 
----------------------

I will turn 61 in eight days. 
A student brought me a gift today: a book of accordion Christmas Carols!


Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Enjoy my Yearbook kids:



  



No comments:

Post a Comment