Thursday, December 3, 2020

Day #259 Writing Through COVID-19: Getting Real

Headlines in April declared that COVID-19 had killed more than the 2977 people who died in the 9-11 attacks. This number stunned me as I remembered the devastation our nation felt in our shared grief in September 2001.
-----------------------

Then on May 27,  the New York Times ran a gut-wrenching front-page story to mark the number we'd hoped we'd never see: 100,000 COVID deaths. It felt surreal.
-----------------------

As I write, our nation is nearing 300,000 COVID deaths. Iowa alone has buried 2522. Our country is now recording the equivalent of 9-11 deaths each day.
----------------------

Last night we learned that a farmer/neighbor/friend died of COVID, ten days after his wife died of the same.

A local businessman also died yesterday. His wife greets me at the drive-up window at my bank. His daughter works at the school. His granddaughter is my student. 

He was 60 years old. 
---------------------

Meanwhile, one of my colleagues is on my mind tonight. She is--like me--a member of our school's Old Guard: that is, we carry years of history and wisdom on our hunched and arthritic backs! She and her husband have both contracted COVID. 
---------------------

The New York Times has published a tool that shows us our position in line to receive the COVID vaccine. I thought as a teacher I might be able to budge my way towards the front of the line. (This works in the school cafeteria.)

No go.

I'm not a healthcare provider.
I do not live in a care center.
I'm old but not old enough.
I don't have co-morbidities.

This means I am neatly halfway down the line of priority for Iowans receiving the vaccine. 
---------------------

Today I again wore my mask. I washed my hands. I sprayed down the desks. I kept my distance. I gazed at this picture of my son and his son:

Wolf and his daddy

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison





 

No comments:

Post a Comment