Thursday, December 10, 2020

Day #267 Writing Through COVID-19: Newsworthy

The top four stories on my newsfeed last night:

  • "Some U.S. hospitals near ICU capacity as coronavirus numbers reach all-time highs" (CNN)
  • "Infected after 5 minutes, from 20 feet away: South Korea study shows indoor virus spread" (L.A. Times)
  • "As COVID-19 vaccines roll out, states to determine who gets shots first" (Wall Street Journal)
  • "House approves one-week spending bill to allow time for stimulus talks" (Washington Post)

We are all beaten down with months of this unrelenting news.

Yes, we've had civil rights protests and election cacophony mixed in, but time and again, the news returns to COVID-19. 

We long for a story that will push COVID coverage lower on the newsworthiness scale. 
----------------------------

Yet as a journalism teacher, I need kids to understand that events with IMPACT on lives rise to the top of the news cycle. A virus that is killing 3000 Americans a day warrants constant coverage. Any other "event" claiming as many lives would demand full-caps above-the-fold headlines for weeks. 

But we are weary. 

Dare I say bored?
----------------------------- 

My students planning the most recent episode of our school video news program said they were tired of talking about COVID. They wanted to cover something else. Yet as we discussed the issues impacting our school, they ultimately decided to write about how COVID remote learning has contributed to a 40% increase in failing grades from a year ago, and how COVID restrictions on crowd size are affecting athletes' experience in winter sports.

Like it or not, this pandemic dominates all aspects of our lives. 

Not fun, but newsworthy.
------------------

I'm posting this tonight not because it's interesting, compelling, funny, or maybe even worth reading. I'm posting because 267 days ago I told myself I would come to this page and record this experience.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

P.S. Eye report: Better today! My comfort is much improved, and my focus is moderately improved. I plan to teach tomorrow, but I'll listen to Little Lefty. If she says she's had enough, I'll sign out early. Meanwhile, enjoy my DIY eye-patch Tik-Tok


No comments:

Post a Comment