Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Days #203-204 Writing Through COVID-19: Sinking

Most days I'm tired but still swimming.

Some days I get water up my nose.

Today I'm going under.
---------------------

My newspaper editors met today via Zoom with an anti-racist student activist and a teacher who advises an anti-racist group at Valley High School. As my students entered the room, several said, "I'm nervous." Our Zoom session was important and valuable. But talking about racism isn't easy.

My broadcasting students finally uploaded the show that was due last Friday. Let's all share the blame.

Year-bookers (bless their hearts) are closing in on the 2020 yearbook that last year's seniors abandoned on March 13, 2020, a day that will live in infamy.

My freshmen are watching the 1957 film "Twelve Angry Men," analyzing it initially in terms of how people behave in discussions, then also how historical, feminist, and anti-racist lenses might impact our view of the film.

This is all good. I know that. But it is also draining.
--------------------------

Between each class, I sanitize the desks.
I (try to remember to) take attendance.
I open the Zoom room and ask quarantined and remote-learning students to turn on their mics.
---------------------

I'm falling behind.

I need to catch my breath.
I need to answer emails.
I need to go for a run, which I haven't done since Sunday.

I'm gasping for air.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison


1 comment: