Sunday, October 25, 2020

Day #221 Writing Through COVID-19: Depleted

I've felt blue today. Sundays are rarely the best days of the week for me. As much as I love my job, I feel Sunday stress as I look at the papers I haven't graded, the emails piling up, and the prep needed for the coming week. 

The Iowa clouds and cold today felt like a pall.

I did manage four miles on the trail, and I'm reading a compelling (horrifying!) book, sent to me by my sister. So that was good.
-------------------------

But this afternoon I received news that a student in our school was critically injured in a vehicle accident while duck hunting this morning. Our community is stunned and hurting as a morning of friends in the out-of-doors turned into the unthinkable. I have not had this student in my classes, but I felt the news as a physical tightening in my chest. He is in surgery in Omaha tonight, with the Atlantic community praying and sending white light.

This accident hurts me at the mother-level as well. I think of how much joy and energy my sons have garnered as outdoorsmen. The boys in today's incident could have easily been my own; I feel them as my own.

-------------------------

So I was already feeling destabilized when my husband and I received (not drastic, not insurmountable) news from one of our children that will require some re-thinking and re-planning from our end. 

I won't go into it now because it is NO BIG DEAL in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah. Tonight is hard. 
------------------------

I'm not sure why I'm even writing about this here. This blog series, for the past 220+ days, has ostensibly focused on life during the pandemic.

The weight I'm feeling tonight is not directly related to COVID-19. Yet I can't help but feel I am beaten down, weakened, and strained by this unrelenting health crisis. 

My reserves of resilience and positivity are depleted.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison  


Something positive:
Beautiful Wolf modeling his new ear protection. 
This wee man refills my reserves of hopefulness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment