Monday, November 9, 2020

Days #233-234 Writing Through COVID-19: Just a Report

So I'm blogging through COVID-19. I want to look away. We're all exhausted by this never-ending story.

Yet eight months in, Iowa's numbers are out of control, higher than they've ever been. 

Only 15 of Iowa's 99 counties are reporting 14-day rolling average positivity rates under 15%. Only one is under 10%. Fifty-one are posting averages in the "uncontrolled outbreak" level of 20% or higher. 

For the past several days I've (cheerfully?) Tweeted the daily numbers to Kim Reynolds @IAGovernor each morning. They're not hard to find. She has yet to respond, nor do I expect her to. But Iowa is in a whirlpool of COVID, and I feel like no one's paying attention. Tweeting the numbers may be shouting into the void. But it feels better than saying nothing at all.
----------------------------

On a personal level: this morning I learned one of my colleagues in the Iowa Council of Teachers of English was killed by the virus over the weekend. This woman was a vibrant, loving teacher and friend to many. I am heartbroken that COVID-19 cut her life short, and I am bubbling with Vesuvius anger at those who will dismiss her death as tolerable because of her "pre-existing condition." Yes, comorbidities increase the virus's danger. But they do NOT decrease the value of the person. 
-------------------------

More personal levels: My inbox binged repeatedly today as my church sent prayer requests. First for the family of a long-time member who recently moved to a care center in a neighboring town and who died over the weekend. No mention of COVID, but one wonders.

Next, prayer requests for a member diagnosed with COVID.

Then prayer requests for a husband-wife pair with COVID. He is hospitalized. As of now she is at home.

What will tomorrow bring?
------------------------

Our school musical has been postponed a week. No official reason why yet, but there's plenty of talk.
-----------------------

Cass County 14-day average positivity rate is at 19.5%. 
-----------------------

That's the report.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

From New Zealand:




No comments:

Post a Comment