Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Day #252 Writing Through COVID-19: Mr. Borszich

Mr. Borszich was my high-school Brit Lit teacher. 

At the time, I had no idea I'd become an English teacher myself. 

Rather, I was a highly distracted, social, goof-off of a student. For me, classes filled the yawning maw between passing periods, when all the good stuff happened: stolen nicotine puffs, flirtatious overtures, clandestine planning for weekend shenanigans. 

I only remember two of my high-school English teachers. One was my creative writing teacher who passed me with a mercy D- after I failed to turn in most of my assignments.

The other was Allen Borszich. 

It was in Mr. Borszich's class that I read my first Shakespeare play: Macbeth. I loved it. 

As a teacher who now teaches Shakespeare myself, I am awed that Mr. Borszich was able to somehow wrangle the attention of my 17-year-old mess-of-a-teenage self.
--------------------------

Forty years after sitting in his classroom, I have only hazy memories of the lessons, but my sustained emotional memory of Mr. Borszich's class is positive.

Let me share one vivid memory:

I had Brit Lit right after lunch. Back in the day, watching a film meant pulling down all the window shades and firing up a clackety reel-to-reel movie projector. 

A full stomach, a dark room, and soothing white noise combined for the perfect napping atmosphere. 

One day at the end of class, I awoke with a pool of sleepy drool on my desk. Mr. Borszich asked me if I'd like him to bring me a pillow. 
----------------------

Honestly, I loved Mr. Borszich's response to my REM time on film days. He used humor to work us past what other teachers might have turned into an unneeded battle. 
----------------------

My own teaching has been molded by the few and precious teachers who recognized my "misbehaviors" as cries against boredom, as my flighty inability to organize my thoughts in tidy, school-friendly ways.

Mr. Borszich was one of these few teachers. He made me feel smart and valued despite my sleeping in drool puddles on movie days.
---------------------

Tonight when I read his obituary, I realized that when he was my teacher, I thought he was an old man. He was, in fact, 41. 

He died at the age of 84.

He died of COVID-19.

His obituary closes with this:

In lieu of flowers or donations, please take a moment and reach out to a dear friend or relative. Read a book together, discuss some philosophy, play a card game, or enjoy a nice beverage. Al loved simple things and we know this is what would make him happiest.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

My wonderful newspaper team captured our masked
final class period with MH, who is moving to Illinois. 


No comments:

Post a Comment