Saturday, August 22, 2020

Day #158 Writing Through COVID-19: Meet the Students

The most important 15 minutes of my day occurred between 3:15 and 3:30 when I met the two students who will be joining my English 9 class through remote learning via Zoom this semester.

I am luckier than most teachers, as I have both a laptop and a desktop computer in my room. This allows me to hook the desktop to Zoom and still use my laptop for everything else.
-----------------------

There's nothing like meeting new students to remind me why I love to teach. They told me about books they've been reading: "Juvie Three," "Hunt for Red October," and "Inheritance." They helped me determine the best angle for the computer to pick up their classmates' faces. We tested the sound quality from various spots within my cordoned teaching zone. 

I suggested they unmute themselves and speak up with questions and comments because unless I am looking at the screen (which I won't be), I will not see them raise their hands. 

I told them to call my phone two minutes past class-time start if they are still in the Zoom waiting room, and I've forgotten to let them in.

I explained how we'll use the same Zoom link each day, and where to find it on our Google Classroom. 

We talked about how and when to reach me with questions. I showed them how to access the class list to find friends to connect with for further understanding.

I was proud of these kids for keeping themselves and their families safe by joining school through the Remote Learning option, and I told them that.

When our meeting ended, I actually felt excited to teach again. 
-------------------------

After school, I stopped at Walmart and bought two sets of cheap scrubs. 

I love dressing up for school. I love wearing pretty dresses and bright colors and fun sweaters.

But last night I called my son's girlfriend who is a pediatric emergency-room nurse and had a big old talk about why nurses wear scrubs. 

She explained they assume contamination. Germs are carried on clothing, she explained. Some of her co-workers go so far as to remove their scrubs before entering the house, put them in a bag (which goes directly to the washer) and then shower before interacting with family. 

Should I consider following scrub protocol? I asked.

"You should probably assume you've been contaminated," she said.
----------------------

After three days of maneuvering through the AHS hallways with increasing confidence in my masked, hyper-vigilant persona, I'm tempted to say "I've got this."

Then I remember that 50 people have populated our building during the past three days.

Come Monday it will be 500.

I'll wear the gray scrubs.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

Look who's laughing now!
Wolf will be six weeks old tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment