Thursday, August 6, 2020

Day #143 Writing Through COVID-19: August 6, 2020: Bats, School, Bridge

At 6 a.m. Harrison sent this message to our family group text: 
Evidently, the one-way Bat Valve is working.
-----------------------

If our bat adventure is not giving you enough closeness with nature, enjoy this video Harrison took after disturbing a mouse nest while loading hay bales today. 

Farm life isn't for the squeamish.
------------------------

This morning I attended my fourth four-hour professional-development class offered by my district to prepare us for teaching during COVID. Today's session focused on formative assessments.

We were able to talk a bit about the district's Return-to-Learn plan and what that will look like in our various buildings:

  • The 4-5 building will keep kids in the same room all day and move teachers in for "specials." They will conduct P.E. outside and eat lunch in their classroom. Basically, their pods will stay constant.
  • At the middle school, the still unconfirmed rumor is that band and chorus will take place in the auditorium with kids distanced in that larger space. The building is already somewhat "podded" because each grade is given its own floor of the building.
  • One teacher whose child is immuno-compromised is trying to determine if the plan to have the child attend school in an isolated room with a 1-to-1 para-educator and Zooming in to classes is a workable option.
  • Another colleague voiced concern about his son. The child has health concerns that make it imperative he not be exposed to the virus. The family anticipates the pressure their child may feel when he wears a mask. This colleague relayed a story about his recent visit to the local DMV with his son. They were both masked when an unmasked man entered. A few minutes later another masked patron arrived. The unmasked man must have known him, because he turned to him and said, "What's with the mask? Are you a pussy?"

Will this be the attitude battle we will face with high-schoolers? Will masks vs. no masks turn into a culture war in our halls between classes? 

I believe the best way to avoid this (un)civil war is to use firm district-wide leadership to say "WE WILL MASK as a matter of hygiene and safety. This is similar to the safety measures we put into place in the chem lab and industrial arts wing, where we require goggles and welding helmets. We will enforce masking as a dress-code policy designed to provide a layer of health safety, just as we require students to wear shoes while in the building."

How hard is that?
--------------------------

My dad was able to log onto Zoom today in half the time it took him yesterday. While their camera is still not working, they could at least see ME, which I said was all that mattered!

My mom told me she'd written me a letter. She said this three times.

We played two hands of Bridge by me sharing my screen and my dad and I collaborating on the decisions.

"Mom, would you agree with that bid?" I asked at one point.

"Oh! I wasn't paying attention!" she said, "I was thinking about the letter I wrote to you!"


Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

Andrea sent this sneak peek from
Wolf's newborn photoshoot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment