Saturday, August 15, 2020

Day #152 Writing Through COVID-19: Distance Practice (and Welcome Home, Vern!)

Old friends stopped by this afternoon. We sat on opposite ends of the deck. I served one tray of snacks to them and placed a similar plate in front of Dan and myself.

It was awkward-lite. I'm willing to endure some discomfiture to assert safe distancing during a world pandemic. I find that these things help:

  • Visualize scenarios ahead of time.
  • Plan actions and words to assert caution (with a smile!)
  • Use posture to say "distance!" When our guests pulled into the driveway, I went out to greet them but stopped five yards short of their car and gave a hearty wave, shortcircuiting the non-COVID welcome of hugs and handshakes. 
  • Practice the karate stance! Regardless of your caution, people will break into your bubble. Be ready to stand back, hold out your arm, and say "I don't want you to get sick!" which reminds people that YOU don't want to get sick either.
-------------------------

I emailed our district's HR director to ask for more specifics about my options for (maybe?) taking 12 weeks at home. I didn't expect an answer until Monday, but instead, on Saturday afternoon she sent a detailed email, several documents, and links to further my understanding of my options. 

Regardless of what I end up doing, I am grateful this woman has been so responsive to my concerns. 
--------------------------

I checked in with my dad tonight. His voice lifted as he said talked about getting outside to walk Vern since their quarantine lifted yesterday.

"Was Vern glad to see you?" I asked.

"Oh my yes! He barked for two minutes straight!" my dad laughed. 

Poor Vern. Did he think my parents had abandoned him forever?

My pleasure at my parents' reunion with (the ever-shedding) Vern was outsized and excessive. 

But a 14-year-old dog reuniting with his people after two weeks is worth celebrating.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

Wolf's mama sent this photo with a "Cute Outfit Alert"! Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment