Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Following Rachelle's Advice: Writing Through Covid-19



I retweeted my friend Rachelle's Twitter post:
@msrachellelipp

Mar 16
We are always witnessing history, but crises like this remind us of the sentiment; that’s why I challenge you to write each day: jot down your new routine, write a review for the show you just binged, list events that have been put on hold—take a snapshot of this time in history.

Having shared Rachelle's advice, I must also take it, even though I don't feel like my thoughts are settled enough for a cogent observation. 

Routine: 
Sleep in an hour
Read
Make a list
Play the piano
Take a walk or go for a run out here on the gravel
Do a crossword puzzle
Touch base with students 
Send out learning options (none of the work we're sharing is required)
Call my kids
Call my parents
Call friends
Take a nap
Play the accordion
Do some laundry
Read some more
Write a poem. As luck would have it, Ethical ELA began the March 5-Day challenge on Saturday. Perfect timing! My goal is to keep writing a poem a day through this. Here is last night's "origin" poem, using the mentor text of Jacqueline Woodson's opening page of "Brown Girl Dreaming":

December 29, 1959
I am born in
Wagner, South Dakota
Yankton Sioux Reservation
USA–
My father
a late bloomer
is 30 but looks like a boy
playing dress-up like a doctor
Korea or government service?
pacifist answer for
why he delivered me
I am the family papoose
dark-haired and swaddled
in my mother’s arms
Her hair is bobby-pin curled
in a style abandoned
along with the house dresses
and lipstick
by the time my mind
captures her
eternal pose
scowling at the kitchen sink
1974
she gazes at me
in the Wagner photos
with a love I did not know
until now
2020
when she hugs
me with her boney arms
her steely judgement
and acute memory
have sluiced
together
into the past 

I'm not bored. I like doing the low-key things I'm doing. Dan is stressed as the price of grain tanks alongside the price of oil, so I'm giving him LOTS of social distance. He'll take ibuprofen tonight to keep from clenching his teeth in his sleep. Eloise, in Spain, is housebound with her dog, a quarter mile from a beach she cannot go to. Harrison will be coming home early from Utah because the slope where he works ski rescue closed Sunday. His girlfriend is a pediatric emergency room nurse, so we're trying to figure out how to prevent the her--to him--to us--to Grandma germ-spread. Is everyone thinking of crazy stuff like this? 

Meanwhile, Grandma (Dan's mom) is the one we are most concerned about protecting, yet she has been getting her news from questionable sources for the past weeks and isn't ready to admit there is any worry. Against my advice, she went to the dentist Monday and to the medical center Tuesday for a non-essential thyroid test!

Enough.
Stay well.
Write.
Rex, after today's run in light drizzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment