Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day #8 Writing Through Covid-19: Cracks in Our Fragile Teacup

The honeymoon lasted four days.

Since Saturday, my parents and I have tiptoed around each other, perfecting our roles as mellow guests and five-star hostess. They thank me profusely for each small kindness; I dream up small kindnesses like it's my job--which I guess it is.

But we are human, and yesterday I saw the first hairline evidence that our arrangement is not rock solid. How could it be? My parents really don't want to be here. A mere seven days ago a once-a-week phone call and a once-a-month face-to-face visit felt right to all three of us.

Now I am their lifeline to the world, bringing each meal, the newspaper, their medicine, their lone human contact. I am also the one (speaking for all their children) who said they needed to be here for now. How could then not resent me just a bit?

So yesterday I was more bemused than surprised when we hit some rumble strips.

First it was the coffee. I'd brought my dad a mid-morning cup, but he was napping, so I left it on the table hoping he'd wake up before it grew cold.

At lunchtime I asked if I should have woken him when I came down earlier. "Well," he said, "I don't like cold coffee." I registered the first tremor of irritability I'd heard since he arrived.

In the afternoon I found my mother in wandering mode. "I'm looking for another bathroom," she said.

I showed her again both bathroom options.

"I was hoping to find one with a taller toilet."

I told her (again) that I had ordered a raised seat and to be sure to use her walker to help her stand up until it gets here. She agreed (again) that should work.

But then I saw the damp towel on the bathroom floor and realized my dad had taken a shower, despite me asking them not to shower until the shower chair arrived. "I have a shower chair coming, too," I reminded him, "so you won't be as likely to fall."

"I STAND UP when I shower," he snipped.

What I refrained from saying was "You have terrible balance and I do not want to pick up your brittle bones from the shower floor."

Of course he wants to shower standing up; of course I want him to use a chair.

I said, "I'll take this towel upstairs and wash it."

----------
Later I offered to play accordion music while they ate dinner. I played "Blue Skirt Waltz" and "Little Annie Rooney." I made some mistakes. And that's okay.

Enough.
Stay well.
Write.

Allison

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying reading about your trials with your parents living with you for the moment. Makes me wonder if my mom will ever need to move in with one of us.

    ReplyDelete