Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day #2 Writing Through Covid-19

My first few days of this week were pretty worthless. I stumbled around in a fog of uncertainty, checking my phone for news updates, frittering, lollygagging, napping, checking for news updates...

This morning I told myself to snap out of it, and I wrestled myself back into productivity. I got to work posting a daily poem, a creative writing prompt, an informational writing prompt, and a reading log for my English 9 students. I completed the writing prompts myself and posted my writing as examples. I read for 100 minutes.

This evening I made phone contact with the parents of seven students who hadn't responded to my emails Tuesday and Wednesday. I asked them to nudge their children to fill out the Google form I'd sent to identify learning supports they'd like during this hiatus. 

The phone calls turned out to be the highlight of my day. The parents and I commiserated, shared our dismay, and bonded over our shared concern for their children adrift in this surreal experience.

The burst of activity was good for me. I felt like a teacher again.

Tonight I will write a poem.

At the suggestion of Sarah J. Donovan, I posted a poem by the hand-washing sink.
Enough.
Stay well.
Write.

No comments:

Post a Comment