Saturday, May 30, 2020

Day #75 Writing Through COVID-19: Letter to My Students

Each week when school is in session, I write a letter to my English 9 students and their parents and guardians, sharing highlights of the week and plans for the days to come. During the past nine weeks I wrote intermittently. Tonight I wrote my closing missive. Because it reflects another aspect of my COVID experience, I will share it here.
-----------------------

Good evening. Had we not been interrupted by COVID-19, I would have closed my classroom yesterday. You don't need me to tell you how strange this all is.

But I do want to share with you some gleanings from the past nine weeks.

1) I understand that for many, many reasons most students did not participate in the non-required daily English classes hosted on Zoom by the AHS English department. The students who did join us grew visibly in their writing and grammar, as well as in their articulation of ideas in group discussion. I will carry what I learned through the Zoom class into my teaching next year. #ShoutOut to all of you who attended at least occasionally, and especially to the kids who came daily.

Let me share some of the comments from student reflections from the final week of class:

"I would love to do more creative writing...When we do creative writing activities ideas seem to come more naturally and I have fun writing them with the company of others. My favorite activity we did this year in the zoom class was just listening to the silent orchesta." (This student is referring to John Cage's 4'33", which we experienced and discussed together.)

"I enjoy the comfortable atmosphere given to the 'classroom.' Each individual teacher and student bring their own personality into the mix and help form a coherent and wonderful system of learning. To improve, I would probably just split into 2 groups."

"I have learned little grammer tricks that are totally helpful. I also have learned a few things from all the Thursday videos. I liked having this last opportunity to get some english in and still having some human connection."

"I feel that my writing has improved immensely. With all the practice in creative writing and all the grammar lessons. I really enjoyed the video days and talking about them. I love to hear other people's opinions and different outlooks. I also liked the creative writing days too! I don't think there is anything to improve. It was fun, personal and I do learn a lot."

"I really enjoyed how personal this class was. It was a lot easier to learn with this small group dynamic than in a larger class setting. I don't have any suggestions. I really thought that it was enjoyable and a great way to spend my time!"

"Oddly enough, I found English Lockdown to be one of the best english classes that I ever took. I feel that I was helpful to split the days up and work on different skills on a separate day that to do everything all at once. I also found the discussions to be the best part about the Lockdown Class.

"Since there was only a handful of people, I feel it was easier for everyone to share what they thought about the videos we watched. I also liked that since we all want to be here, the class seemed more enjoyable to be in. I wish we are able to have more classes like this next year! This class was definitely one of the highlights of my Quarantine."

"in the time we have spent together one thing i have learned is that when you watch a movie pay attention to so the small details in a scene because it could mean something about the character or what may happen in it." (This student is referring to a character analysis we did after watching the opening scene of "Baby Driver.")

-----------------------
2) PLEASE keep reading daily this summer. I understand the public library will be opening soon with social distancing guidelines in place. If you have a book you're dying to read, let me know! I'll find it and have it delivered.

3) Nothing will improve your writing as much as (wait for it...) WRITING. I started keeping a journal in the eighth grade. When I look back on it, I realize that by going to the page and trying to translate my thoughts into words, I was learning to write. Nothing teaches writing...like writing.

4) Please wear a mask and follow social distancing guidelines. Some of you may know my brother-in-law contracted COVID-19 in early April, requiring four weeks of hospitalization and two more in a care-center for rehabilitation. He is still incredibly weak and lucky to be alive.

Also, I moved my 89- and 90-year-old parents out of their care center and into the lower level of our house to minimize their exposure to the virus. I am also caring for my 91-year-old mother-in-law who lives 1/2 mile down the road. When you see me in public, I will be wearing a mask. I will stand six feet away from you if we stop to chat. Please know that it is not hard to get used to wearing a mask. I am grateful for every person who has the courage to wear a mask. Thank you.

5) I wish you all a healthy, happy summer. I hope to see many of you in journalism classes this fall. If you are not taking journalism, be sure to stop by for a Lemondrop from time to time. I will always have a book to recommend. I will always be your advocate.

I will close by sharing the poem I wrote for you on our first day of class together. I hope your memories of our time in Room #408 match the poem's promise. I loved being your teacher this year!

Sonnet to My Students on the First Day of Class 
Come in and make a mess with all your thoughts. Here shake them loose and spill them on the page. Then push them, pull them, tie them into knots. Your words are laughter, questions, hopes and rage.
The writing in this room will echo, pound against our heads and hearts: cacophony. Then crash of who we are creates a sound From which our hearts rise up: a symphony.
For mess and noise and joyful chaos reign In space where all experiment and try. To set you free, I loose you from the chains, Release you to explore your inner eye.
So, welcome. I invite you to a year Of messy, joyful learning without fear.
Your teacher,
Ms. Berryhill
------------------------

Enough.
Be well.
Write.
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment