Thursday, May 21, 2020

Day #65 Writing Through COVID-19: Randy Is Home!

If you have been reading my blog, you know that my 65-year-old brother-in-law, a nurse in Davenport, contracted COVID-19 in early April. He spent more than two weeks in an induced coma on a ventilator before his doctors gave him serum with antibodies from a recovered COVID patient. Shortly thereafter, his oxygen levels began to improve. At last the ventilator was removed.

When he awoke, he could not speak or swallow. He could barely move. He was disoriented. After another week in the hospital, he was released to a COVID floor of the same care center that employs him, where he spent another two weeks in intensive physical therapy.

Yesterday he was released to return home. When my sister pulled up to the facility, the nuns and the nurses lined Randy's route from the door to the car and cheered him as he headed out.

My sister, who is a retired physician, explained (I hope I'm translating this accurately) that although Randy is still testing positive for the virus, they do not think he is contagious; rather, bits of the virus in a broken-down form in his body cause him to test positive, even if he is no longer in an active virulent condition. I continue to be boggled by how little is known about this illness.
-----------------------

Today I needed to work at school. I used the side door, plenty of hand-sanitizer, and avoided coming face-to-face with anyone.

But Farmer Dan also asked me to pick up parts while I was in town, which I thought I could do while still distancing. When I pulled up, I saw their front door was propped open--which I took as a positive indication they were aware of recommended safety measures.

I stood six feet away from the counter, wearing my mask, and said I'd come to pick up Dan's order. The un-masked parts man picked up the box and headed my way.

I expected him to put the box down and back away, but instead, he brought it right to me, breaking into my 6-foot bubble.

I don't want to be histrionic. And I do believe the parts man was trying to be courteous. Still, I cannot, knowing what I do from Randy's experience, let my guard down.
---------------------------

Many people are behaving as if we all just pretend the virus isn't here, it won't be. Because I live in a rural section of the state, we hunkered down for two months with virtually no cases.

Cass County did not report its first COVID case until April 12, a full month after we had closed our schools. The second case was not logged until May 12.

But four days later, on May 16, we saw case #3, then two days later, #4. Today Cass County announced two more positive tests, bringing the total to six.

Should I graph that?

-------------------

I know that Randy's experience affects how I perceive the virus. I also know that housing my parents in my basement and tending my 91-year-old mother-in-law down the road magnifies my virus awareness when I go out in public. But I do not want to bring it home to Eagle Avenue.

Meanwhile, today Governor Reynolds announced more openings: bars and swimming pools, school summer sports, movie theaters and wedding reception venues. Cheers.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison


3 comments:

  1. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Healgen Antibody test

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! paper代写

    ReplyDelete
  3. However there keeps on being a question and a great deal of falsehood about home grown wellbeing that continues in the U.S. culture. Obliviousness is somewhat to fault yet there is likewise a purposeful exertion with respect to the American clinical industry and the drug business to restrict and stifle the information and utilization of natural wellbeing treatments and restorative spices.X-Ray

    ReplyDelete