Monday, May 4, 2020

Day #42 Writing Through COVID-19: Small Entertainments

Last week I navigated my parents through their first Zoom Sunday School class with their house-bound classmates in Ft. Dodge. Although attended by only one other woman and the leader, my parents were pleased. My mom repeated her fascination with Zoom technology throughout the coming days. My parents have been watching their home church's services each week since Palm Sunday.

But yesterday morning, at a few minutes after 8, when I trundled down the stairs with their English muffins and morning meds, I found my mother agitated, waiting at the foot of the stairs.

"Church has started!" she said, "I can hear it!"

"That's the radio you hear upstairs. It's not your church service," I explained. "I'll get you set up for Sunday School, and then I'll help you switch over to the service."

What I wanted to say was "Do you really think I'd forget your church service? Your care and tending are the bones around which I build my days. I won't let you miss church."
---------------------------

After lunch, my parents sat in the lawn chairs under the miles-wide Iowa sky while Vern sniffed about. It was kite-flying weather again. This time I got the kite aloft, then handed it off first to my mom and then my dad, as they remained seated. When the kite began to falter, I'd grab the string and run a bit to send it soaring again.

When we tired of this, I tried to roll in the kite without letting it touch the ground--which is a bit of a trick! I nearly made it when the kite took a mad hawk-like swoop toward my mother's head, adding gleeful laughter to our small entertainment.

Throughout the day my dad read his huge Abraham Lincoln book and my mom and I finished a 550-piece puzzle. They both took the scooter out for a spin around the yard. My son brought them their beloved Sunday Register from town since their subscription has still not kicked in.

My dad tinkered with gmail on the computer.

My mother set the table and washed the dishes.

In the evening we discussed their movie options and settled on "A Theory for Everything," the bio of Stephen Hawking. We'll discuss it this morning after we watch the sunrise and share a poem over morning coffee.
---------------------------

This morning (Monday) I woke to a text from my sister in Davenport. She wondered if our parents are adequately stimulated. She suggested I find small tasks for them to do, like peeling vegetables, or maybe I could find a way to hook up a computer to allow them to watch their Ft. Dodge church service.

Enough.
Stay well.
Write.

Allison

Sunday, May 3, on Eagle Avenue








3 comments:

  1. Hi, Allison, it’s Beth Brandt Urbaszewski. I discovered your blog last week, and Immediately had to start reading it from the beginning of your COVID-19 journey. I’m always getting interrupted or distracted, so it took me several days. I love your parents, and so I’ve been relishing every detail, picture and video that you post about them. It also makes me think of my dad and his wife, who are currently living in an independent living facility in San Antonio, TX. I wonder how I would fare trying to do the same thing with them (not nearly as well as you!). It was such a smart move to pull your parents out right at the start of this thing, and you are doing a wonderful job of taking care of them while keeping their lives interesting. Keep that positive attitude, and thank you for sharing your daily adventures with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Beth! What a joy to hear from you here! My parents have talked about your family several times while they've been here. My mom's trip to NJ to visit your mom (they were in high school) and then into NYC together is one that has given her lifelong cherished memories. One morning I read her "The New Colossus" and she told me all about visiting the Ellis Island with your mom. Thank you for reaching out with your kind words. Karen was a spark of shared (wild) kinship to me when met up in 8th? 9th? 10? grade. I remember her lovingly. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your mom still has many fond memories of my mom and our family. Your family’s visit to us in NJ is still a very fond memory for me. It was so fun getting to know all of you. Adrienne and I bonded over that short time, and I do think you and Karen were kindred spirits (you rebels!). Karen also had a contentious relationship with our mom. I did too, to a lesser degree, but it started to soften for both of us when my first daughter, Katie, was born. Katie, by the way, is now a journalist with the Austin Statesman! Both of my daughters are blessed with a love of writing. I’m glad to know we have English teachers like you to teach and encourage our next generation.

    ReplyDelete