Saturday, July 2, 2022

Winning and Losing


I ran my first 10k in 2002, at the age of 42. It was the Exira Road Run, and I won a ridiculously huge plastic trophy for finishing as the fastest 40+ runner. 

Today, 20 years later, I ran the same race for probably my 18th time. I know I skipped in 2005 because at age 45, I'd just had a breast biopsy that had bled profusely three days before the race. The doctor told me to skip the run. On July 6, I was told I had invasive breast cancer. 

So yeah, I missed that year. I probably missed another race or two since then, but the reasons are mundane and therefore haven't lodged in my memory.

The point is, I run this race every year to prove to myself I can--what? do it?  

Last year I ran well. 

This year, I knew I could not match my 2021 time. So instead, I decided to run not for time, but in celebration of a body that for the most part still does what I ask it to do: it thinks (slowly); it moves (with creaks and groans); it hangs in there. I can't complain. This body has been a good life companion.

--------

Like most small-town road races, the Exira Road Run would not be possible if only elite runners participate. The towns could not support a race that brought in only the 10 best runners in the area. They NEED slow runners like me to keep the event profitable. For this reason, I will never apologize for running at a 13:00 pace (which I did one year); if I weren't here paying my $15 entry fee, those speedy cheetahs wouldn't get to run at all. 

Thank me.

----------

Today's run started at 7:45 a.m. I had been in Iowa City all week for a class and had "rested my legs" (i.e. avoided training) for four days. Furthermore, I'd signed up for a very hilly race after running only flat trails for the past two months. I vowed to pace myself and listen to my body. The goal was to finish without injury.

At the one-mile mark, I glanced at my phone and realized I was almost two minutes/mile ahead of my usual pace. I'd just run the fastest mile of my summer--mostly because the other 13 runners had taken off like a pack of gazelles. 

Just then a jaunty red-head (I'd guess age 10) came by on his bicycle. 

"You're losing!" he shouted gleefully.

"No, I'm WINNING!" I shouted in gleeful response. 

And I was. When an hour (+) later I accepted my gold medal as the first (and only) finisher in the 60+ age category, I wish the little redhead had been there to see me skip up to the awards table. 

Be well.
Enough. 

Allison

 


2 comments:

  1. Wish I'd been there to hoot and holler for you! Woo hoo! Way to go! And I'm glad you're back at the blog. After the move, I'll rejoin the ranks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your return, Ramona! Thanks for your Woo hoo! I need every one I can get!

      Delete