Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Day #350 Writing Through COVID-19: Klackers and Tape Recorders?

This afternoon, as I arrived at the YMCA for spin class, I wound my way through a cluster of sixth-graders. It was a beautiful near-spring day, 54 degrees. A few kids were masked. A few bared their noses but masked their mouths. Some wore masks under their chins. 

I almost used my teacher voice to tell them to mask up. But they were outside. And fairly distanced.  Frankly, at this exhausting point in the pandemic, I no longer know what the rules for masking are when 12-year-olds are arguing (or was it flirting?) outside the YMCA in balmy(?) weather.
--------------------------

When I was 12, in 1972, the fad was Klackers. This noisy, semi-dangerous toy was soon banned when too many Klackers shattered and injured Klacking children. 

Klackers were a significant part of my life for about a year. I don't think about them often. But I remembered them tonight when I saw the kids outside the Y. Will the 12-year-olds of 2020 remember masks as "that thing we did for a year" in junior high?

I also remember from that era the early tape-recorders. Once my dad brought one home from his office. It was the size of a suitcase. It had two plate-sized reels and a tape (literally!) on which magical sound was recorded. (Tape! Record! Tape-recorder!)

Klackers dissolved into the past. Tape-recorders evolved into the future, becoming tighter, improved versions of themselves. We now press a single button on our phones, record anything, edit effortlessly, and share it anywhere. 
---------------------------------------

Will masks go the way of Klackers? Remembered only in the recesses of the internet and Grandma's stories? Or will they stay with us, like the tape-recorders, evolving and improving and melding seamlessly into our lives?
--------------------------------------

I thought I was going to write about cycling class tonight.

I guess I wrote about Klackers. 

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

My son Max with his son Wolf, on the job in NZ


1 comment:

  1. Klackers! And they had a resurgence in the 21st century. I remember they were banned for a time at our school. I remember the suitcase sized tape recorders and the big reels. My grandson was amazed when I played a Christmas CD on my old boom box. Yes, I still have one of those and it accepts tapes too. Maybe I'll dig out the basket of books on tape that entertained his mom during quiet time and see if any of them still work!

    ReplyDelete