Sunday, September 13, 2020

Day #179 Writing Through COVID-19: ZOOM Confessions

Day #179. I am within days of the half-year point on this writing project. 

On Saturday I met with (ZOOMed with) my remote learners to discuss what was working and--more importantly--what wasn't working when they join our class remotely. They gave me suggestions for improving sound quality and visual access to the whiteboard. It was good to have some one-to-two time with these dear students who are trying to make the most of the long days of online learning. 

I followed up by emailing the district teaching coach and principal, relaying the supports I'll need to implement my students' suggestions. My coach answered quickly, assuring me we could make adjustments (different mic-ing, different positioning of the ZOOM camera) to better meet my students' needs.
---------------------

I need to come clean.

My Remote Learners (those who ZOOM in each day) are not yet receiving equal access to my teaching. Some days I've forgotten to open the ZOOM room until 10 minutes into class. Other days I've failed to unmute myself or notice postings in the chatroom.

Teaching face-to-face and online simultaneously is really hard. I want you to know that. If my eyes are on my live students, I'm not watching the ZOOM screen. My remote learners can't hear their classmates in the back. It quite literally feels like I'm teaching in two rooms at once, which I guess I am.

As schools struggle to find ways to both deliver education and keep students safe, politicians and parents and pretty much everyone else wants to know what these new learning-delivery systems look like.

I can only speak for Room #408: It's not pretty.

Enough.
Be well.
Write.

Allison

My son Max with his son Wolf, 2 mo.




No comments:

Post a Comment