Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Day #32 Writing Through COVID-19: Stumbles

Randy was extubated yesterday. This is good news. My sister has been told he moved one foot and one hand. The internet tells me the post-intubation recovery often includes difficulty with movement, thinking and, of course, breathing. As far as I know, he is not speaking yet.

-------------------
Vern is an old, well-behaved dog. But he sheds. When I suggested he could use a good brushing, my mother demurred. "He has warts. He doesn't like to be brushed."

I brought down a soft brush and suggested she brush tenderly. "He has warts," she said. "He doesn't like to be brushed."

Maybe we'll just vacuum more often.

-------------------

When I came down with the post-supper Klondike bars, my parents were standing near the refrigerator laughing heartily.

"He fell into my arms!" my mother cried.

"She caught me!" my dad howled with delight.

Evidently, my dad had stumbled, coming around the corner from the bathroom, and just as he started to go down, my mom reached out and caught him in something of a cross between a hug and a salsa dip.

Good times?

------------------

"Alli, could you help us find something on TV?" my dad held out the three remotes it takes to toggle between Netflix, Amazon Fire, and good old TV. "Maybe something without a lot of swearing," he said.

The night before, I'd turned on "The Silver Linings Playbook." I remembered enjoying it a few years ago. What I didn't remember is the violent shower scene, the fight with the mother scene, the reason Tiffany got fired scene, and all of the l-a-n-g-u-a-g-e.

My parents have seen a lot of living in their combined 179 years; they are not naive. But the "romantic comedy-drama" liked by 91% of Google users was not a good choice for them.

The documentary about National Parks was much better.

Enough.
Stay well.
Write.

Allison


Puzzle success.




No comments:

Post a Comment