Thursday, April 2, 2020

Day #14 Writing Through Covid-19: Is This Thursday?

Whew. Long day here.

This morning when I checked on my parents, they were both still sleeping.
But greeting me were two dog turds on the carpet.

I am a mother of six. It takes more than a couple of turds to derail me.

But later when my mom woke up, I told her Vern had had "an accident" in the night.

"Oh yes!" she said cheerily. "He does that!"
------------

This evening I asked my mom to set the table, which she does for each meal.
"Do you want plates?" she asked, as if we hadn't set plates for each of the previous 40 meals (who's counting) since they arrived.

Then tonight she said, "There's a big black dog in the yard!"

The dog is Rex, the same dog my mother invited into the basement as Vern's new best friend three days ago.

-----------

My mother and I started a new 300-piece puzzle yesterday. She finished it around noon today. This afternoon I saw that she had already boxed it up.

"You put the puzzle away!" I said.

"Yes. I finished it a few days ago!" she said.

I'm afraid we have all loosened our grip on time. I'm thankful my parents have a dementia clock. It tells them the time (a.m./p.m.), the day, the year.

I think, vaguely, this might be Thursday.
.
Enough.
Stay well.
Write.

2 comments:

  1. Love your humor in the face of all of this--"It takes more than a couple of turds to derail me."

    The days are slipping away, which makes me even more grateful for your daily posts and nudges to write in order to keep track of this moment in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am a mother of six. It takes more than a couple of turds to derail me."

    This makes me smile and reminds me so much of your tenacity. We don't have to fall back in defeat or complaint. There are other ways to spend this time.

    ReplyDelete