Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Church Camp Syndrome: Life after NCTE conference

11-19-18
5:42 a.m.
Returning from NCTE I am the New Me. Or the Returning Me, I should say, since I’ve seen
her before.She is full of intention, invigorated to leap higher, learn to dunk.


The New Me pushes her way forward--or up, or out--when I attend good conferences
where I’m surrounded by people who challenge and uplift my thinking. I have pages of
notes and gems scrawled in the margins of handouts:


“First conversations need ‘gush.’” - KB
“Victim stance: kids become their own jailers.” - KB
Students need to see “beautifully crafted sentences.” - KB
Shoulder up. - KG
Choose a key passage and “read it the way the author intended it to be read” - KG
What’s going on with this graph? - KG
Give the kids the reins, the decisions - DM
Braid three texts together - DM
“No shouting, no insults, plenty of nuance”- BS, SH
Re-brand “politics” as “participationship” - BS, SH
….and so much, so much more.


The first time I met New Me was at church camp when I was  maybe 11. I returned home
giddy to tell everyone about my new best friend: Jesus. His light shown through me,
I had denounced the greed, sloth, doubt, jealousy and general meanness that had
previously defined me. The New Me was filled with forgiveness, gentle kindness and, if
truth be told, a good helping of sanctimony. I was ready to lead my four siblings to Christ!


“She’s got it,’ my oldest sister hissed. “Church Camp Syndrome. It won’t last long, thank
god, little ‘g.’”


I was dumbfounded, incredulous. How could she say such a thing about my newfound
faith! And yet her words had pierced my balloon. As the holy spirit squeaked out of me,
I knew she was right. By evening I was my familiar greedy, jealous self, watching “Brady
Bunch,” thinking mean things, Jesus forgotten.


My bout with Church Camp Syndrome made me wary, cynical. I’ve learned over the years
to doubt enthusiasm smelted in the blast furnace of a convention hall. But I’ve also grown
less jaded.
My bursting commitment to revamping all weaknesses in my teaching may wither in a week
or two. But rather than distrust this current energy, I am relishing it. I will ride its crest
through this crazy shortened pre-Thanksgiving week and let it buoy me to the shore at
semester’s end.

Thank you, NCTE, for inviting New Me to come up for a breath of air.

No comments:

Post a Comment