Saturday, November 24, 2018

On Aging as a Teacher


At NCTE last weekend I roomed with Missy, traveler extraordinaire and brilliant challenger

of weak thinking. She is mulling a career shift, maybe away from the classroom and toward

writing or teacher education, where she could widen her scope of influence. I applaud her:

yes, do it. At 35, her career life is just taking off. She has decades ahead to change lanes,

take an exit, wind along a scenic route, return to the classroom--or not.



I am not fond of regret. It’s anxiety in the rearview mirror, which is even less helpful than

anxiety in the windshield. So I don’t spend my energy in what-ifs.



Nevertheless, at 58 my teaching years ahead are not expansive. This realization both fuels

and tempers me: The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But mine are thinning. And I don’t

have that many miles to go.


At 28, after only five years in the classroom, I stopped teaching to raise my children. I

taught an occasional community-college class and worked as a freelance writer. When

I was 40 I wrote a piece about reaching the halfway point of my life, clocks ticking, and

the closing of options ahead of me. I was feeling a little sorry for myself, but

disingenuously so. In truth I was still young and hopeful.



At 43 I returned to teaching, added a journalism endorsement, re-engaged with my

professional organizations, and fleshed out my second teaching career. Also post-40

I’ve learned to run, ride a unicycle and play the accordion. I’m now a wedding officiant

and dabbling in public speaking. When I consider this, I am reminded that even a few

years offer opportunities for change and growth.



One of my mentors, James Davis, is known in the world of Iowa English teachers for

spearheading the Iowa Writing Project and English education at UNI. Yet his wide-

reaching influence has also included classroom teaching, AEA English consultation,

ISEA leadership, school reform, and writing. He reminds me that although the teaching

corridor ahead of me is not as long as it once was, many doors are still open. Or if not

open, the doors may not all be locked yet. I can try the handle.



Aging gracefully, if there is such a thing, requires optimism and acceptance.

I’m working on both.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed and appreciated your article, Allison! You are making a difference in many students' lives, so every day is a treasure. I admire how you are experimenting with new talents. Keep finding new avenues to enrich your life and that of others.

    ReplyDelete